Thirsty for a Fresh Take on All Things True Blood?

WELCOME! Thirsty for a fresh take on all things True Blood? Pull up a virtual barstool at the Pierced Pomegranate Tavern where sisters Rachel and Rebecca are serving up juicy feminist analysis with a twist and opening a vein of thoughtful sociocultural dialogue on HBO's hit series.

Like the epic literary salons of eras past - theaters for conversation and debate which were, incidentally, started and run by women; where the spirited debate about the issues of the day ran as copiously as the actual spirits did - but updated for the digital age, the Pierced Pomegranate Tavern is a fun forum for exploring questions ripe for discourse about the human condition & today's most crucial social issues through the medium of True Blood.

Your salonnières are not peddling liquor per se, but they are offering up new and alternative ideas informed by such diverse influences as pop culture, art, music, cultural history, Goddess studies, transformative theory, literature and poetry, and archaeomythology, filtered through the sieve of their own lived experiences as feminist women of a particular age, background, and culture.

This is a space where you - patrons and passersby alike - can view and engage with these perspectives through the lens of True Blood and contribute your own thoughts. So, no matter if you're a Truebie or a more casual viewer of True Blood, or your drink of choice is a pomegranate martini - one of Rachel's favorite cocktails to drink and Rebecca's to mix - an herbal tea, a frothy double mocha latte, or a can of Fresca (wink, wink) you're invited to join the conversation on the show's complexities in a way that can spark transformation.

Hopefully you'll find something to sink your teeth...err...straw, into! PLEASE ENJOY RESPONSIBLY ;-)

YOU'VE BEEN SERVED (A WARNING)...

The Pierced Pomegranate Tavern is dedicated to exploring social issues and more through the lens of True Blood. As such, you may encounter:

*SPOILERS
*TRIGGERS
related to the often provocative and adult themes presented by the show

If you choose to enter and participate in this virtual salon, please be prepared to do so in a thoughtful, respectful, and mature fashion with the above in mind. Click here to check out our comment policy. Thanks!

Disclaimer

No copyright infringement is intended, all rights to True Blood belong to HBO, credit is ascribed to sites where images appearing here were originally found.

Thursday, November 18, 2010

My thoughts on daydreaming, Harper's Bazaar and The People's Choice

"To lose one's self  in reverie, one must be either very happy or very unhappy.
  Reverie is the child of extremes" ~ Antoine de Rivarol


        I am sitting at my desk staring out my window, my mind is beginning to drift away into thoughts of nothing and everything all at once. I can hear the world moving around me, but pay no attention. Two small squirrels make their way into my line of vision and it hits me.....I have been daydreaming. It has been so long since I have actually caught myself in a daydream, I forgot what it felt like.  I promptly snap back to reality and recall an article I read recently that daydreaming while thought to be a healthy escape from reality, is in fact UNhealthy; and the daydream (no matter what the subject) can cause you to feel sad. While I understand the logic behind this, I can't help but think this can't be completely true. My heroes have all been daydreamers. The poets and musicians I have opened my heart to speak to me in a way no scientific mind ever could. They are the one's who give my world color and imagination and for that I am forever in their debt. So I say dream on, my friends..."dream out loud"!

     Earlier this week, while attempting to block out the vulgar conversation two men were having at the bar I work in, I buried my nose in a magazine (much like what Tara tends to do at Merlottes!)...flipping through page after page of advertisements and recommendations for shoes I will never be able to afford, I came across a very interesting read. The article entitled "Girl vs Girl" by Naomi Wolf  (featured in the November issue of Harper's Bazaar) reminded me of something I was talking about in my last post  "Feminism-the new F word?". The article, inspired by the new movie "Black Swan", starring Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis as two ballet dancers caught in a messy rivalry, breaks down the anatomy of female group behavior. Using examples of  schoolyard bullying tactics to more well known celebrity female rivalries the author paints a picture of time tested patterns that read like a handbook on how to break one another down. Ms.Wolf even suggests that this behavior might be genetic " I have seen the exclusion of one women or group accompanied by so much glee from the others that it seems almost like a visceral behavior. I have even wondered if this reflex is evolutionary". Towards the end of the article she [Naomi Wolf] begs the question "Do we risk losing the victories of feminism in every previous generation because we can't for the life of us seem to be able to sustain a common cause without inevitably taking out the long knives?"  It really does make you wonder! If we as women could stop just long enough to realize what we are doing to each other, and in turn to ourselves I would hope, as Ms.Wolf does that "in looking closely at this darker side of our own psyche, we will learn enough about ourselves to stop being held at the mercy of it."  For the full article I urge you to pick up this months issue of Harper's Bazaar!

     For the last part of this impromptu blog I call your attention to the 2010 Peoples Choice Awards. As we all know awards shows can be boring and predictable, but this show has the potential to be quiet different. While not truly your choice, as you are choosing from a group of pre selected nominees, the vote is in your (our) hands! True Blood has been nominated for a variety of categories and I would LOVE to see them win! Having already voted I call upon you now to do the same! To cast your vote please visit http://www.peopleschoice.com/ ~ Rebecca

1 comment:

  1. Hey Rebecca,
    Amazing quote you opened your post with! Rivalry and discord between women - amplified in the media and rampant in our daily lives to varying extents - seems to be a theme that's really emerged for you as a focal point, judging rom your last two posts.

    It seems like you're wrestling with the different perspectives on this - is it inborn or are we socialized to be at eachother's throats (vampire pun intended!)...are there alternatives or other ways of being, what kinds of social conditions would have to exist for different relations between women to emerge, and if this dynamic is based more in nurture than nature, who suffers most and who stands to gain by the way women are socialized to be in fierce competition at all times?

    I think Season 3 of True Blood offers us several vantage points on the dynamic you're addressing, and there are certainly historical patterns of how women have related to eachother in times past that we can look into for other views on the topic.

    I had an idea that I was planing to run with for my next blog, but I think I'll put it on the back burner for now and respond to this topic which you clearly have quite a bit of energy around with some thoughts of my own bolstered by the literature base I am consulting on premodern civilizations from the Neolithic forward.

    Maybe some readers would like to talk about how they experience relationships betwen women - whether they are women themselves or they aren't but see women interacting around them and have some thoughts on the matter?

    P.S. I voted for True Blood for the People's Choice Awards using your link...thanks for the link, by the way, otherwise I may have been too lazy to seek out the website myself...that coming from me, a big endorser of "vote early and vote often"! Shame on me...

    ~Rachel

    ReplyDelete